Zoom constantly updates their cloud services and the software client that users need on their PC, Mac, smartphone and tablets. In certain situations, if attendees are using varying client versions some features may not be available to all users in a meeting. This can happen if the Host has a newer version and some participants have an older Zoom client or the inverse, the Host happens to be on an old client and the participants are using a newer version.
Given the consistent updating of the Zoom client by Zoom, it's suggested that users periodically update their Zoom clients.
Smartphones and tablets:
Devices and versions vary (iPhone, Android, etc) but generally you would go to the App Store (Apple devices) or the Play Store (Android/Google) and update the Zoom client. The default on many systems is for applications to automatically update when new versions of an app are available, so most users will find they have the newest version. Occasionally, Zoom will force you to update the app before you are able to attend a meeting, in that case you would just follow the prompt to go to the app store and update.
Windows and Mac:
You can ensure you have the newest version of the Zoom client on your personal or CCS device via a couple methods. The second option may be easier for most users.
Download and install the Zoom client from Zoom directly.
- Go to Zoom's site https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting
- The top option Zoom Client for Meetings is the correct option
- The 'Download' is for the 32-Bit version of the software but most users should select the 64-Bit version (highlighted by red dots).
- Your browser will download the update and generally prompt you that it's completed with an icon in the upper right of the browser window.
- Double-click to install the Zoom client update and follow the prompts.
Update Zoom from within the Zoom client.
This method is the simplest approach.
- Choose your Avatar in the upper right corner, this is generally the head shot used on your CCS account or something else if you have updated it within Zoom already. When the menu drops down, choose Check for Updates towards the bottom.
- The Zoom Client will automatically start downloading in the background.
- When the background download is finished you are prompted to complete the install. Choose Update and when finished you will have the newest version.