Notice: This material has been updated to reflect changes to some of the associated services. 9/14/20
Cloud Recording Requirements
- CCS Zoom account authenticated with a CCS email account (@ccs.spokane.edu, @scc.spokane.edu, @sfcc.spokane.edu, @bigfoot.spokane.edu). ( www.zoom.us or https://ccs-spokane.zoom.us )
- Active ctcLink account and password (all CCS employees and students have an active account with Canvas using their ctcLink account)
Generally, Faculty that have been instructing using Canvas and Panopto in the past or are setup in the current quarter with Canvas classes will have their associated Panopto folders, student permissions, etc. setup. CCS eLearning assists Faculty and staff with Canvas/Panopto basics. They offer online trainings and other material and this is often announced through CCS-wide and campus-wide email. Jerry Troupe with eLearning can be contacted directly at 509-533-7010 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are logged into Canvas (or Panopto) the built-in support options are where users should start. If you are familiar with Canvas and Panopto and know you have Panopto access and understand the basics, you can skip to the section about Zoom + Panopto Integration.
Staff and Admins
Classified staff, Administrators, etc. may not have active Panopto accounts (or actively used Canvas accounts), but they can confirm they have a Panopto account, or initiate the creation of their Panopto account with a few simple steps.
- Check that you have an active Canvas account. Sign into the CCS Canvas site with your ctcLink/Canvas credentials at: https://ccs.instructure.com/login/ldap
If you have issues signing into Canvas, contact eLearning through the methods outlined here: https://ccspokane.freshservice.com/a/solutions/articles/3000022471
- After confirming you have an active Canvas account, sign into Panopto using your Canvas credentials at https://ccs.hosted.panopto.com
- Once signed into Panopto, go the upper right corner and click on your Name. In the drop down menu, ensure that your username is your ctcLink ID. Choose User Settings.
- User Settings will bring you to a page where you can make changes to Panopto, including changes that affect how Zoom Recordings are handled. Proceed to the Zoom + Panopto Integration, further down this article.
Workstudy, Student Tutors and Student Employees
Workstudy, Student Tutors and Student Employees that wish to record their Zoom sessions to Panopto will need to establish a Panopto account associated with their @ccs.spokane.edu, @scc.spokane.edu or @sfcc.spokane.edu email accounts. These same students have simultaneous (but separate) access under their @bigfoot.spokane.edu accounts to both Zoom and Panopto (and Canvas, with their ctcLink logon info). When acting on behalf of CCS as a workstudy or a tutor these students should be using their CCS email and their CCS Zoom account associated with their CCS email account. To arrange Zoom/Panopto for these students, supervisors and students should:
- Submit a form to have the student accounts made with CCS email and Office 365 access: https://internal.spokane.edu/Login/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fNetworkAccounts
- Have students sign in with Zoom at the CCS Portal to initiate their Zoom account at https://ccs-spokane.zoom.us
- Submit a General ticket with a note asking to generate Panopto accounts for workstudy students - submit lists of students if possible and not one per ticket - ideally in this format: jane.doe, email@example.com
- Students that are getting Panopto accounts generated will receive an email asking them to authorize the Panopto account creation. They should follow the steps and make note of the username (first.last) and the password they set.
- After their accounts are setup, the information below regarding managing Zoom recordings in Zoom will apply
Zoom + Panopto Integration
By default, a scheduler's Zoom meeting Cloud recordings will go into the same user's Panopto account in a sub-folder 'Meeting Recordings'. Users can change this default location. Additionally Zoom Meeting ID's can be routed to specific Panopto folders owned by the Zoom Scheduler.
When possible, Faculty should login into Canvas, choose a Course (current course or past course), choose Panopto Recordings. From the Panopto site in Canvas, proceed to the main Panopto site by clicking the icon in the upper right hand corner.
Staff and Admins will not likely have active Courses in their Canvas account and should proceed to the Panopto site directly to login to Panopto with their Canvas credentials at https://ccs.hosted.panopto.com
Once at the Panopto site, choose your Name from the upper right, choose User Settings.
User Settings defaults to the Info tab. Confirm your email address (not user changeable, but needs to match your current work email address, if it does not match, contact eLearning through the Help link in Panopto)
In the Zoom section on the Info tab you can make a couple changes:
If you want your Zoom recordings (that are not mapped in the section below) to go to any folder other than 'Meeting Recordings' you can change it here. You may want to close out of User Settings, make a new folder or sub folder in Panopto then come back in and set that as your default for Zoom recordings. In the image above 'Default Folder' is set to #Zoom. This is the system default and will change to Meeting Recordings after the first successful Zoom Recording transfers to your Panopto account. If you want this to be anything other than Meeting Recordings, choose edit and select a Panopto folder from your account.
You may want to select the option to 'Email me when sessions are finished processing' - this will alert you when Panopto is done processing any recordings from Zoom, videos you have uploaded manually and any recordings you have made with the Panopto desktop app. Note: When you choose Cloud Recording in Zoom for a Meeting, Zoom will host the recording briefly while the video is transferred to Panopto. The details emailed to the scheduler from Zoom are transient. The recordings in Zoom are purged periodically due to limited storage. Panopto is the final, true residing location for all CCS Zoom Cloud recordings.
The Folder Mapping section is where you can map your scheduled, recurring Zoom meetings/classes with a particular folder. Usage example: You are teaching 3 classes via Zoom for the upcoming quarter. You have scheduled the recurring Meetings in Zoom and have a Meeting ID for each class. ENG 101 111111111, MATH 101 333333333, ECON 101 777777777. If you have published a Course in Canvas for each of these classes you will have a corresponding Panopto folder. You can map this relationship by choosing Add New, entering the Meeting ID, then choosing your appropriate folder from the drop down. A sample is shown below. In between quarters, you will most likely want to remove old mappings, though mappings to non-existent Meeting IDs have no affect.
- If you want your Zoom recordings (that are not mapped in the section below) to go to any folder other than 'Meeting Recordings' you can change it here. You may want to close out of User Settings, make a new folder or sub folder in Panopto then come back in and set that as your default for Zoom recordings. In the image above 'Default Folder' is set to #Zoom. This is the system default and will change to Meeting Recordings after the first successful Zoom Recording transfers to your Panopto account. If you want this to be anything other than Meeting Recordings, choose edit and select a Panopto folder from your account.